Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Day 4

My heart is full today. 
Two things happened that have probably changed me as a person. The first is that today, was my first day as a volunteer at an after-school program. I initially signed up because for my Senior Project I need to log 30+ hours of volunteer work at an organization. I feel very fortunate that I have the chance to work with these awesome first graders every afternoon for an hour. They were so sweet and so receptive to my help. I sat next to one little boy through the whole activity because he had some wiggles that were taking over. I loved it though, even if he was being rowdy. I found out after the class that some of the factors to his misbehavior might have to do with the recent development of his mom leaving him. He is in the first grade and his mom has left him. Tears filled my eyes and my heart just ached for him. I think tomorrow I will be even more loving and understanding.

The second thing is I was directed to this blog from another amazing blog. I cried and cried for this sweet family. How this mama is staying so strong, I don't know. She is such an example to me of taking it one day at time and seeing the sunshine behind the thunderstorm. There is a link to the left hand side if you feel you can donate and help this family get back on their feet. They definitely deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment